It’s not that long since my wee Granny Vance passed away, a huge loss to us all because of the fun times and memories, most of which were brought on by her Apple Tart recipe, amongst others.
You see, every Saturday we would go and see her, like most families, for 2 o’clock tea, which included not only this apple tart, but also her boiled cake and pancakes, all served with a strong cup of tea.
She was a beautiful woman, and she did everything she could to make sure everyone was happy.
I miss her quick turn of phrase, but I remember her through my memories and heart.
300g Plain Flour
a drop of Milk
One serving (8 Slices)
Pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F.
1. Add the flour, butter and sugar into a bowl, and rub them together until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add in the egg, and bring together into a dough. Use a bit of water if it is too dry.
3. Cling film and put in the fridge to chill out for 30mins.
4. Skin, core and chop the apples.
5.Roll out half of the pastry, and then put into an oven proof dish, ensuring it covers the whole thing.
6. Add in the apples.
7. Roll out the lid and cover the apples, crimping in at the sides.
8. Brush the milk over the top and sprinkle over some extra sugar if you like.
9. Bake in the oven for 45mins.