Sometimes dishes just call out to you as a good idea.
As you will note from the last FatLadFood Show, myself and the lady went down to Dublin for a trip, and ate in a lovely restaurant called Mr Fox.
While I was there, I had a beautiful sweetcorn risotto dish, which this one is based upon.
Oh it was delicious, very simple, yet filled with the flavours of summer.
This is my homage, using barley and mushrooms, were the original recipe did not.
For the Risotto
2 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 head of Corn, cut in half
150g Pearl Barley
500lm Vegetable Stock
1 sprig of Thyme
25g Parmesan Cheese
1 knob of butter
For the Mushroom
1 Portobello Mushroom, skinned
2 Sprigs of Thyme
Salt & Pepper
One serving (serves two)
1. Boil the corn in water for 20mins.
2. In another saucepan, add a knob of butter, along with the onion & garlic. Fry for 5mins or until the onion becomes translucent.
3. Add the barley, and coat in all of the butter and onion mixture.Fry for around 5mins.
4. Add the stock, and simmer on a medium heat for 20mins.
Get your griddle pan on, as hot as it will go.
5. In a bowl, mix the mushroom, thyme and seasoning together with a drop of oil.
6. Grill the mushroom on both sides for 10mins.
7. When the mush room is finished cooking, put the corn onto the griddle pan, and chargrill on all sides.
Slice down the sides of the corn husk, to get at the kernels.
8. Add in half of the corn to the barley risotto, which by this time is beginning to thicken. Add in the thyme.
9. Add in the butter and the parmesan, and mix until the risotto becomes nice and thick, but still oozy.
Plate up by spooning out the risotto into a bowl, and decorate with the remaining corn, and of course the chopped up mushroom.