Recently I have been barbecuing quite a lot, and have been on the lookout for side dishes like the one, my Simple Sausage Stew.
It started out as a play on Cassoulet, that wonderful Toulouse sausage made treat.
However, I spent sometime writing a new recipe, initially with chickpeas, which work wonderfully in this sauce.
However, to continue with the French theme, I swapped them out with Lentils, and never looked back really. This one is a crowd pleaser!
1 Red Onion, chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
120g Lentils, cooked
4 Sausages, cooked and chopped
1 Tin Tomatoes
1tsp Fennel Seed
Salt & Pepper
1 Serving (makes 4 servings)
Put your saucepan onto a medium to high heat, on the hob.
1. Add in the red onion and fry for 5mins.
2. Add in the garlic and fry for a further 2mins.
3. Add the fennel seed, mixing thoroughly with the vegetables, before adding in the tinned tomatoes.
4. Add in the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer to reduce by half, over the next 15mins.
5. Add in the cooked lentils, and the sausage.
Allow to breakdown further, over the next 15mins until it is nice and thick.