A few weeks back my little lady set me a challenge, to make a Vegan Chocolate Cake for her aunts birthday.
Naturally I accepted the challenge, and began a research process into the correct ingredients, alongside the techniques to cook it fully Vegan.
I learned a lot, I can tell you, from the right types of oils, dairy free alternatives and also how to incorporate gluten free products into a cake mix.
It came out really well, and went down a storm with the birthday girl, which is all that really matters!
For the Cake
350g Gluten Free Flour
50g Cocoa Powder
1tsp Bicarb of Soda
1tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
400ml Almond Milk
150ml Vegetable Oil
For the Frosting
200g Vegan Friendly Chocolate
25g Cocoa Powder
125ml Almond Milk
200g Icing Sugar
One Serving (12 Slices)
Lets make the cake first.
1. Add the avocado into a food processor, along with the sugar, and blitz down to a paste.
2. Add in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarb of soda.
3. Add in the vegetable oil and the almond milk, blitz down into a cake batter. Clean the sides and blitz again if you have to.
4. Pour into a lined baking tin.
I have just made one cake, which I will slice later, but if it is easier for you, just split the mix in half over two tins.
Now lets make the frosting.
5. Add the avocados into the food processor and blitz down into a paste.
6. Add the milk to a saucepan, put it on to a medium heat, and bring up to a simmer, before taking it off the hob.
7. Put a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water,
and melt the chocolate.
8. Put the cocoa powder into a mixing bowl, and then add the milk and chocolate, before combining thoroughly.
9. Add in the icing sugar, mix to combine thoroughly.
Ice the cake like a pro, and be a hit at your next party.